From: "Heather Valentine" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2011 8:37:11 AM
Subject: Don't Let Your Member of Congress Get Away with a Generic Response to Your TRIO Questions!

July 15, 2011

Dear Colleague:

Many of you who have e-mailed your Representative or Senator have gotten a stock letter in response like the one below. If this is the case, I would cut and paste the letter you received and e-mail the education legislative assistant for the Member or Senator and ask more specific questions. For instance, with the letter one below, I would respond:

Dear (NAME OF EDUCATION LA), I recently e-mailed Senator XXXXXX and received the following response.

Dear Mrs. Valentine:

Thank you for contacting me regarding proposals for the fiscal year (FY) 2012 budget. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this issue.

Congress recently completed action on the FY2011 appropriations. After months of negotiations about funding levels, on April 8, 2011, House and Senate leaders reached an agreement to avert a government shutdown and to provide funding for the federal government through the end of FY2011. On April 14, 2011, both the House and Senate passed this legislation (H.R.1473) and President Obama signed it into law the following day (P.L.112-10). While I was pleased we averted a government shutdown, I believe this bill lacked balance. It cut domestic programs that make our nation safer and more prosperous, that protect our environment, and that help the families who have suffered most during the financial crisis and recession. Meanwhile, it protected the tax cuts that benefit only those at the very top. Because of that lack of balance and lack of fairness, I voted against this bill.

In the weeks and months ahead, we will seek an answer to the question of whether we will all share in the sacrifices required, and whether the same people who have done so very well over the last decade or so will be asked to contribute. I have heard from many concerned that this plan to balance the federal budget will lead to reduced or discontinued benefits for many Americans, especially those that rely on Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security. I am very concerned about some of the proposals being offered, and I want to assure you of my commitment to protecting these programs. The safety nets provided by these programs are critical, because they provide vital services for millions of Americans.

It is my belief that as we move forward with efforts to secure the long-term fiscal health of our nation, we can craft a plan that makes necessary cuts in spending as part of a balanced, fair and comprehensive approach that includes raising revenue and protecting programs that assist our country’s most vulnerable populations. At a time when the citizens of our country continue to face economic hardship and uncertainty, it is imperative that Congress demonstrate responsible leadership by passing legislation that ensures the federal government addresses the critical and urgent needs of our great nation while also addressing our long-term fiscal responsibilities.

Sincerely,

Senator XXXXX

While I understand the Senator is very busy and there are multiple issues being considered right now in Congress, the letter did not answer the question I asked, which was how the Senator plans to support TRIO and expand on the number of students we serve in (STATE). I WOULD ADD SOME STATE AND PROGRAM DATA HERE. Because you handle higher education for the Senator, I was hoping you would assist me – I work with hundreds of students and families who are depending on the Senator’s support and leadership. As you know, TRIO has lost more than 50,000 students since FY 2005 and we cannot afford to lose any more. So my question is, how does Senator XXXXX plan to ensure that TRIO funding is not cut in FY 2012.

If you have any questions, please feel free to call me at XXXXXXXX.

Thank you in advance,

Name and Contact Information

Thank you for all of your advocacy efforts! Remember that every voice counts!

Heather Valentine
COE

To no longer receive email from us click here .