Chancellor Reed, California State University Fresno issued this statement
todayregarding the proposed 2011-12 state budget:

"This budget is a great disappointment for the California   State University. It
is a shame that the legislature was unable to   reach a compromise that would
have kept taxes at current levels and prevented   further massive cuts to the
public’s universities.

This   budget will cut the CSU by at least $650 million - nearly one-fourth of
state   operating support - and the effects will be felt throughout our 23
campuses   and among our 412,000 students. The proposed 'trigger cut' of another
$100 million is especially problematic because the trigger won’t be   pulled
until classes for our last semester of the fiscal year have already   started
and it is too late for campuses to respond in any practical   way. This makes it
impossible to plan and carry out our mission with   any stability.

If the   trigger is pulled, our cut will total $750 million. State support for
the CSU will be at its lowest level in 14 years, even though we currently
serve 90,000 more students. California’s economy cannot fully   recover, nor can
its future promise be fulfilled, by starving its   universities."

 Kimberly Hughes
SSS Program Assistant/WESTOP Legislative & Education Chair
5241 N Maple Avenue, TA35
Fresno, CA  93740-8027
559-278-5725 work/559-470-5782 cell
559-278-1441 fax