COE POLICY UPDATE FOR TRIO COMMUNITY  - - - CALL TO ACTION!!!

Congressional Gridlock Continues

(February 25, 2011)

Conservative leaders in the House and liberal leaders in the Senate remain in gridlock over negotiations about how to continue funding the government for the rest of FY 2001. The current continuing resolution, which maintains FY 2010 funding levels, is scheduled to expire in one week, on March 4. Senate Democratic leadership has balked at the draconian cuts approved by the House in H.R. 1. This bill would cut current federal spending by $61 billion, which would be $100 billion below President Obama's FY 2011 budget request. H.R. 1 proposed cuts to several programs that are critical to our nation's most vulnerable citizens - including TRIO, which received a 2.9% cut of $24.9 million.

TRIO supporters - including students, parents, staff, and community leaders - are urged to continue contacting their Senators to urge them to reject these cuts and vote against H.R. 1. Contact information for all Senators is available here.

In recognition of the fact that the current funding bill will expire in a week, leaders in both chambers of Congress are said to be crafting temporary stop-gap measures. While details remain undisclosed, the Senate is said to be working on a bill that would fund the government for the remaining months of FY 2011 and would contain far less drastic reductions than the House-passed bill. Meanwhile, the House is preparing to introduce a two-week CR that begins implementation of the cuts approved in H.R. 1. Neither chamber is enamored with the offerings of the other, thus making a government shut down a very real possibility.

The Council's 31st Annual Policy Seminar will be taking place in the midst of what will certainly be a very critical time in Washington. If you have not already done so, we hope that you will plan to attend and take part in our community's advocacy efforts. We will only be able to preserve TRIO and fend off proposed cuts by speaking loudly in a unified voice.

We hope to see you at Policy!  Please contact me if you need assistance in becoming a team member and connecting with your congressional representatives.

Kimberly Hughes
SSS Program Assistant/WESTOP Legislative & Education Chair
5241 N Maple Avenue, TA35
Fresno, CA 93740-8027
559-278-5725 work/559-470-5782 cell
559-278-1441 fax