Good Afternoon WESTOP Team Leaders and Team Members:

LEGISLATIVE APPOINTMENTS: I just wanted to remind you that as we are just weeks
away from Policy Seminar that each of you should have already contacted
legislative offices for your districts to secure your appointments to meet with
congressional representatives.

GET THAT TIME SLOT! : If you have not already received confirmation of your
appointment with either the congressman/woman or their educational aide, then
please contact those prospective offices as soon as possible to follow-up.  You
can ask to speak directly to the educational aide and hopefully secure those
appointments. Since their staff are so busy, this is something that you have to
stay on top of, even if it means multiple calls or emails.

I am attaching Key Talking Points and Tips for Visiting Your Representative.

Other tips for preparation for your visit:

	* Research your congressman/woman's website to see where they stand on
education.  You can also find out how they have voted on the Appropriations Bill
or Labor HHS in the past.
	* Research success points of ALL TRiO programs, not just your own program, so
that you can give a "well-rounded" but brief presentation sticking to how each
of our programs objectives stay in line with current administration's Higher
Education goals.
	* Last year I printed out these key points that I researched and made a binder
of each representative, their background (veteran/non-vet, low-income,
disadvantaged populations, rural or farm working populations,
disabled/non-disabled, etc), and took it with me to Washington.  I read it on
the plane, in my hotel room, etc, so that I knew how to approach each one and
which program and program services to focus on just a little more with that
certain representative. I think that made a difference. We were able to secure 3
of our representatives on the TRiO Caucus; so I think it may be a strategy that
might have added to our presentation.

	* Take some student, student alumni, parent, university president or other
letters to leave with the representative from your chapter programs.  We had
students write essays for their grant aid and surprisingly over 1/2 of them
wrote TRIO in front of our program name in the letters more than times than
once.  Their essays ring with "Why I Need TRIO" even though that was not the
subject.  So we had them sign clearance for us to duplicate and present in
Washington.  It is not to late to get these done!

	* Get 10 students that have successes to share and how TRIO has contributed to
their academic success or their future academic goals.  These can be left with
the aide or representative on the day of your visit.  Pictures or newsletters
work too! They want to hear the voices of the students along with our voices.

So we have our work cut out for us WESTOP.  If you are not attending Policy
Seminar, you can still help by putting together "success" stories or plea
letters for your chapter team leader or team member to take with them.  Contact
them today to pledge your assistance in this so very important matter.

Looking forward to hearing back from you all soon,

 Kimberly Hughes
SSS Program Assistant/WESTOP Legislative & Education Chair
5241 N Maple Avenue, TA35
Fresno, CA  93740-8027
559-278-5725 work/559-470-5782 cell
559-278-1441 fax