From: "heather valentine2" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2010 9:51:18 AM
Subject: Summer Recess Packet

Click To View Documents: Summer Recess Packet.doc (130KB) ;
July 30 , 2010

Dear TRIO Colleague:

This year has been, and will continue to be, a challenging one for TRIO. As the House of Representatives leaves for its Summer Recess today and the Senate leaves for recess on August 6th , we must continue to push forward on a number of issues. We face the imminent loss of nearly 100 existing Student Support Services programs in the current competition taking place (as of today , the slate has still not been released by the Department of Education). As soon as the Council receives word from Congress that the slate has been released, we will contact you. However, it is important to note that Congress receives the SSS slate first, and if you have not already, please outreach to your Member of Congress and request that they notify you when they receive the slate for your state.
In addition to the current SSS competition, we must contend with the refusal of the Department of Education to implement the appeals process guaranteed in the Higher Education Opportunity Act in this competition. As always, we stand in need of increased funding for all programs - including the nearly 200 Upward Bound programs funded by the College Cost Reduction and Access Act. We know that these challenges will not be overcome without the continued action of our community.

During the past two weeks, two major Congressional actions have taken place to increase TRIO funding. The first was the House Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education Appropriations Subcommittee markup -- which provided TRIO a $25.6 million or 3% increase for a total funding level of $878.7 million. Yesterday , the full Senate Appropriations Committee approved its FY 2011 funding bill which includes a $15 million increase for TRIO (for a total of $868.1 million). As you all know, we must fight to increase these numbers during floor debate this fall. The best way to do this is to engage your Members of Congress and Senators this August on the impact your programs are making in your communities.

Despite the tremendous level of difficulty our community is experiencing, we must remain hopeful. With Members of Congress returning to their home states and districts for the month of August, we will have ample opportunities to plead the cause of TRIO; we must seize each and every one. Your work is critical to this effort. Now, more than ever before, the TRIO Movement needs you, your staff, students, parents, alumni, and community leaders take up our cause. To assist you in these efforts, we have provided the following materials:

· Information about the TRIO appeals process and talking points for each program
· Tips for getting TRIO parents involved
· Tips for successful meetings with your representatives
· Lists of House and Senate Appropriations Committee Members
· Sample meeting request and thank you letters

We have provided this information so that you can contact the local offices of your Representatives and Senators to schedule meetings and/or find out when and where they will host local town hall meetings and conference calls, as many of them do during this time of year. As always, the Government Relations (GR) team at COE is available to provide any assistance you may need. Please contact us by e-mail ( [log in to unmask] , [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask] ) or phone ( 202.347.7430 ) at any time should you have any questions or concerns. It is imperative that you contact the GR team before your scheduled meeting or town hall visit so they can help you prepare and make sure you have the most up-to-date information.

Thank you for all your hard work on behalf of the TRIO programs.

Sincerely,
Heather Valentine
Vice President, Public Policy
Council for Opportunity in Education