From: "Kimberly Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, April 1, 2010 2:16:22 PM
Subject: Mitchem Addresses the "Rumors"

Untitled Document

Click To View Documents: Letter to Duncan on TRIO Numbers with Attachment.pdf (94KB) ;

April 1, 2010

Dear TRIO Colleagues:

At a hearing on March 3 before the House Education and Labor Committee, Education Secretary Arne Duncan attempted to address what he termed as "rumors" that student participation numbers in TRIO and GEAR UP have decreased and cited the recent participation rates for GEAR UP as evidence that this was not true. However, as the TRIO community well knows, our student participation numbers have decreased by more than 40,000 since FY2005 due to stagnant funding. COE President Arnold Mitchem just sent the attached letter to Secretary Duncan in order to clarify the situation. A copy of these materials will be available through our website shortly.

Thank you for your continued support of TRIO programs and students.

Sincerely,

Heather Valentine
COE