From: Oceguera, Gustavo
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:09 AM
To: 'Diana Felix'; 'Donelle Davis'; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
Cc: 'Michele Scott'; Heba P. Griffiths; [log in to unmask]
Subject: FW: Research Message

Dear Chapter Presidents:

Please see email request below from Professor Espinoza.  Just to let you know, I’ve agreed to participate in this research effort and I encourage all of you to do the same.  I’m confident that her research will yield a positive result for the TRIO community.  Dr. Espinoza and her team will be in attendance at the WESTOP Conference and she’s requested to speak about her research for 5 minutes during the chapter meetings (Monday, March 1).  Please reply to Dr. Espinoza directly  if you’re interested in having a team member address your chapter.  Please also note that she’ll have a table in the exhibitor’s foyer to speak with those who are interested in participating in this research.

Thank you for your consideration.

Dear TRIO Professional,

My name is Roberta Espinoza, Ph.D. and I am a Professor in the Sociology Department at Cal State Fullerton. My research associate is Cynthia Alcantar, M.A., STEM evaluator at Mt. St. Mary’s College. We are both the product of TRIO programs. My courses, research and Cynthia’s evaluation work focus on higher education access for ethnic minority students. The support and academic preparation we both received through TRIO programs made all the difference in our educational success. As TRIO alumni, we would like to document the various ways in which TRIO impacts students through a research study. We will be attending the WESTOP conference in Long Beach, Feb. 28-March 3rd. We hope you will consider participating in our study which consists of a 20-minute survey. We will have a table in the exhibit room for the duration of the conference. Information about the study can also be found in your conference registration packet. We look forward to meeting and speaking with you about your work in TRIO. Our goal is use our findings to inform educational policies and practices to create greater access to higher education for all students.

Respectfully,

Roberta Espinoza & Cynthia Alcantar

Roberta Espinoza, Ph.D. | Assistant Professor of Sociology

California State University, Fullerton
PO Box 6846 | Fullerton | California | 92834-6846
657-278-2599 Office | 657-278-2001 Fax