FYI
----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "heather valentine2" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, February 1, 2010 8:08:21 AM
Subject: President Obama's FY 2011 Budget Request for TRIO

February 1, 2010

Dear Colleague:

Today, President Obama released his FY 2011 budget request for the Department of Education. In his request, the President included $910.1 million for the TRIO programs. This represents level-funding for all programs, including $57 million that was provided in 2007 for 187 additional Upward Bound projects. This request suggests there will be no Upward Bound competition until the summer of 2011.

While I know we are all disappointed with the funding provided in this budget, we must turn our advocacy efforts to Congress to ensure that all TRIO programs receive additional funding to maintain quality services, meet legislative mandates, and contribute to the President's goal to ensure that the United States has the highest proportion of students graduating from college in the world by 2020.

TRIO funding has been stagnant for the past seven years. Meanwhile, the cost of services has continued to increase. As a result, TRIO programs have lost nearly 40,000 students since Fiscal Year 2006.

For more information, please feel free to contact Heather Valentine at the Council at (202) 347-7430.

Sincerely,
Arnold L. Mitchem

--
CSU, Fresno Educational Talent Search Program
5048 N. Jackson Ave. M/S LS 140

"You always pass failure on the way to success." -Mickey Rooney