TRiO...it works!

From: [log in to unmask]
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Anita Blanco
Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2009 3:59 PM
To: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask];
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask];
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
Subject: [WESTOP] McNair & SSS: Stanford Invite for
Directors/Coordinators

FYI of the following opportunity.  Stanford is hosting a 2-day session
Oct. 8-9 for Directors/Coordinators who help prepare diverse
undergraduates for entry into a PhD program.  We are providing hotel
accommodations and food.  Please see below for more details and note
that the deadline to register is September 10th.  If you have any
questions, please feel free to contact me at my Stanford e-mail of
[log in to unmask] OR 650.723.6274 OR catch me in person at the
grad school workshop session at the COE conference in San Antonio next
week!  As a former staff member of TRiO programs, I know of your
wonderful students and the great things that you do!  Please do feel
free to use me as a resource for your students.

Anita Blanco, Director of Diversity Recruitment & Engagement
Stanford University School of Medicine- Genetics
(TRiO staff alumna & WESTOP member)

*

Dear TRiO Colleagues,

Stanford University and TRiO programs such as McNair and SSS have the
similar goal of increasing the diversity, educating, and training of the
next generation of global leaders.  For Stanford, this also includes a
commitment to increasing the diversity of our graduate student body. We
believe that by reaching out to program directors, faculty, and
administrators across the country we can initialize a partnership that
will help to further encourage and prepare ethnically, economically and
educationally diverse undergraduates for a doctoral (PhD) education at
Stanford.

The Stanford Diversity Outreach for Doctoral Education - Centers of
Influence Recruitment Retreat (STANDOUT-COIRR)  is a two-day program
that aims to support program directors, coordinators, faculty and
administrators that work with diverse undergraduates in preparation for
doctoral studies.  The Stanford University Schools of Medicine,
Humanities & Sciences, Engineering, and Earth Sciences invite you to
register for this event, which will take place on Thursday October 8th -
Friday October 9th at Stanford University in Palo Alto, California (30
minutes south of San Francisco).

As a participant, you will have the opportunity to hear from Stanford
faculty, staff, and current graduate students about PhD studies at
Stanford and take the information that you learn back to your students.
You will also have the opportunity to inform Stanford of how to best
partner with your program to ensure recruitment success.  Workshops will
include an overview of Stanford's doctoral programs and resources for
diverse populations, roles in the recruitment and application process,
what makes a competitive application, and how applications are reviewed.

Accommodations and meals will be paid for by Stanford University.  A $35
registration fee and travel expenses are the responsibility of the
attendee.  Participation is limited to space available and one
representative per school program, so please register early and by
September 10, 2009. Registration and more information about the program
can be found at http://vpge.stanford.edu/diversity/coi.html
<http://vpge.stanford.edu/prospective/diversity/preview/coi.html>

Thank you and we look forward to seeing you soon.

ANITA BLANCO - Director, Diversity Recruitment & Engagement
Stanford University School of Medicine- Genetics
300 Pasteur Drive
Alway Building, Room M350
Stanford, CA 94305-5120
Phone:  (650) 723-6274