Retention Counselor
STAAR Program
CSU, Bakersfield
9001 Stockdale Hwy.
Bakersfield CA, 93311
(661) 654.2281

----- Original Message -----

Greetings Friends and Colleagues:

As some of you are aware, Dr. Mitchem and I attended the funeral for Senator Claiborne de Borda Pell this past Monday, 1/5/2009.  It was a deeply moving occasion during which we witnessed powerful and thoughtful words of tribute about the outstanding life of Senator Pell from the Honorable Edward M. Kennedy, Honorable Joseph R. Biden, Jr., Honorable Jack Reed, among others.  Indeed, it was a privilege for both Dr. Mitchem and I to be present at the home-going gathering for this great statesmen, for whom The Pell Institute has been named.  I was able to extend our condolences and well wishes to Senator Pell’s wife, Nuala Pell, and many other members of the Pell family.

Please visit the Pell Institute website: http://www.pellinstitute.org/ to read a fuller statement of condolence from The Pell Institute and COE.  Also, please click on the link below to watch the ABC 6 News video entitled, Those Helped Most by Pell Pay Tribute, where a ABC 6 news reporter captured on video a statement by Dr. Mitchem about the significance of Senator Pell’s contribution to higher education, as we stood in line to be seated in Trinity Episcopal Church where the funeral was held in Newport, Rhode Island.

I finally want to extend my gratitude to Tom Mortenson, Pell Sr. Scholar and David Evans, Pell Advisory Committee Member, as well as Sarah Flanagan, Vice President for Government Relations and Policy, NAICU, and Dr. Brenda Dann-Messier, President Dorcas Place, both long time COE and Pell Institute friends who were also there with us at the funeral and extended their respect for the life and great works of Senator Pell.  If you have further comments or words of condolences and tribute please feel free to e-mail me. Thank you.

Peace,

Chandra

Chandra Taylor Smith, Ph.D.

Vice President of Research & Director

THE PELL INSTITUTE

for the Study of Opportunity in Higher Education

1025 Vermont Ave., NW, Suite 1020, Washington, DC 20005

p: 202.638.2887 x207 * c: 202.489.7049 *  f: 202.638.3808

www.pellinstitute.org