From: Heather Valentine [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Fri 1/16/2009 12:52 PM
To: Tomasa Mauricio
Subject: Urgent Key States Needed for Stimulus Package Conference Call

Dear TRIO Colleagues:

As you are well aware, next week the U.S. House and Senate will vote on a stimulus bill valued at about $825 billion. While this bill includes $15.6 million for Pell grants, $6 billion for higher education modernization, $490 million for college work-study, but NO funds for TRIO or GEAR UP.

We have been excluded from the initial draft of this tremendously important legislation. It is critical that we reach out next week to some key Members of Congress in your states that will play a significant role in the final version of this bill.

On Wednesday, January 21, I will be hosting a series of conference calls from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EST. I have set aside 45 minutes to speak with each state individually. To participate in the call for your state, please dial 1-800-747-5150 and use Access Code 4445658. Below are the start times for your individual state conference calls.

These times are all EST:
Massachusetts - 10:00 a.m.
Ohio - 11:00 a.m.
Illinois - 12:30 p.m.
Iowa - 1:30 p.m.
Pennsylvania - 2:30 p.m.
Wisconsin - 3:30 p.m.
California - 4:30 p.m.

I look forward to speaking with you all on Wednesday as we put together a strong grassroots effort for increase funding TRIO and GEAR UP.
.
Sincerely,

Heather Valentine
Council for Opportunity in Education

To no longer receive email from us go here:
http://www.congressweb.com/t/u/?KETBYAVHLA