Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:46:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: Joy Brittain <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [WESTOP] Absolute priority/rural areas
Sender: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]

--===============1147183848==

--0-260561591-1208367983=:38062

  Hello WESTOP,
  Even though this originally came to the Board, I felt it was important to WESTOP since we have many rural areas in our region.  If you have any suggestions after reading this email, please contact Heather.

  Joy

  April 14, 2008

  Dear Board Member:

  The purpose of this memorandum is to provide an update on what is
  happening on Capitol Hill with respect to the legislation to
  reauthorize
  the Higher Education Act of 1965. As you know, both the Senate and
  the
  House bills contain several provisions that would benefit TRIO
  programs.
  The House version, however, goes further and provides even more
  safeguards to protect TRIO programs - including language to create
  an
  appeals process for TRIO applicants and to eliminate the entire
  Absolute
  Priority. (A side-by-side comparison of these bills is attached to
  this
  e-mail for your convenience.)

  Now that Congress is back in Session, staff members for both the
  Education and Labor Committee in the House and the Health,
  Education,
  Labor, and Pensions Committee in the Senate are working closely to
  negotiate the final reauthorization bill. With respect to the
  Upward
  Bound Absolute Priority, we have heard from various sources that the
  Senate is determined to maintain its language that allows the
  Secretary
  of Education to grant priority in funding to projects in which 30%
  of
  newly-admitted students are at "high academic risk for failure."

  Recently, we circulated a document highlighting the particular risk
  factors that face low-income, first-generation students in rural
  areas.
  This document (also attached) has helped us gain traction with
  Members
  representing highly rural areas - including Senator Mike Enzi, who
  is
  the highest ranking Republican on the HELP Committee. In addition,
  we
  have recently begun reaching out to Upward Bound personnel to
  encourage
  them to involve Upward Bound parents in the process. Specifically,
  we
  ask that parents convey to their Members of Congress how Upward
  Bound
  has affected their children's lives and, if applicable, how the
  Absolute
  Priority would have prevented their children from taking part in the
  program.

  If you have any suggestions or ideas that you think would be helpful
  in
  defeating the absolute priority, we welcome your comments. Please
  email them to Heather Valentine at [log in to unmask]
  <mailto:[log in to unmask]> . As you all know through
  your
  years of TRIO service, when we work together we win these
  legislative
  battles.

  The Council looks forward to hearing from you and we will continue
  keep you updated as further developments take place.

  Sincerely,

  Arnold L. Mitchem

  President

--0-260561591-1208367983=:38062

      <hr size=1>Be a better friend, newshound, and
know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. <a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ "> Try it now.</a>
--0-260561591-1208367983=:38062--