the rise of so-called "patent trolls" that exist solely to extort disproportionate
Committee by a unanimous voice vote.
"We have reaffirmed our commitment to ensuring that our nation's patent laws
counter that the system has become skewed in favor of patent holders, spurring
On Thursday evening, the Senate Judiciary Committee approved by a 13-5 vote
"first to invent" standard has posed problems because the identity of an
Enactment of the bills "is essential to future innovation and prosperity
said of the Senate bill's approval. The group, whose members include Qualcomm,
be seen. Both proposals continue to face considerable resistance from a broad
The bills were identical when they were unveiled with some fanfare at a press
said in a statement after the vote.
counter that the system has become skewed in favor of patent holders, spurring
Enactment of the bills "is essential to future innovation and prosperity
Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), who co-sponsored the bill with Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah),
venture capitalists, some universities and research institutions, and companies
patents in their business models.
and arrived just one day after a similar bill cleared the House Judiciary