counter that the system has become skewed in favor of patent holders, spurring
foreign patent systems currently possess. Critics argue that the existing
the rise of so-called "patent trolls" that exist solely to extort disproportionate
Procter & Gamble), pharmaceutical makers, biotechnology and nanotechnology companies,
"We have reaffirmed our commitment to ensuring that our nation's patent laws
foreign patent systems currently possess. Critics argue that the existing
slate of House and Senate politicians ultimately approve the bills in floor votes.
direction of patent law debates in previous sessions of Congress. The last
foreign patent systems currently possess. Critics argue that the existing
patent applicant's entitlement to that protection under the new system.
be seen. Both proposals continue to face considerable resistance from a broad
Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), who co-sponsored the bill with Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah),
Addressing litigation tactics
like Qualcomm that rely heavily on licensing their patents.
said in a statement after the vote.
"first to invent" standard has posed problems because the identity of an
swath of companies, from major manufacturers (think General Electric, 3M and