"well," cried her mother, "it is all very right; who should do it but her own uncle? if he had not
"my dear jane!" exclaimed elizabeth, "you are too good. your sweetness and disinterestedness
attended her from that part of the world. his name had never been voluntarily mentioned before them
and he knew he should have nothing to live on.
"pardon me for interrupting you, madam," cried mr. collins; "but if she is really headstrong and
"perhaps we might be deceived."
"and your defect is to hate everybody."
elizabeth, to whom jane very soon communicated the chief of all this, heard it in silent
but on returning to the drawing-room, when her letter was finished, she saw, to her infinite
cheerfulness, but with no further attempt to distinguish elizabeth; and they parted at last with mutual
"you are quite a visit in my debt, mr. bingley," she added, "for when you went to town last
"this walk is not wide enough for our party. we had better go into the avenue."
"compared with some families, i believe we were; but such of us as wished to learn never
again and again, in the name of all my family, for that generous compassion which induced you to take
better have taken mr. collins; but i do not think there would have been any fun in it. lord! how i
and kitty were out of sight, then returned into the drawing-room.