Help for CENTRALCAL Archives

CENTRALCAL Archives

Subject: Tucson Conference
From: Sam Cortez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 30 Mar 2004 11:48:46 -0800

BDY.TXT (104 lines) , Tucson WESTOP Agenda.doc (104 lines)

Good morning Central CA,
I checked with Damian Peņa, WESTOP Conference Chair, regarding the
status of Central Cal members' attendance and he mentioned that as of
Friday March 26 twenty (20) people have registered under Central CA.
While the number is higher than the six that was originally reported I
am still concerned about the low attendance.  By the way, the total
number of registered attendees for the whole conference is 275. At the
same time it is my understanding that the hotel is sold out with over
400 people registered under WESTOP. My suspicion is that many Central CA
members are planning to register on-site.  In order for me to gauge the
real attendance I want to have an "electronic show of hands." So please
answer these basic questions for me and reply with your answer.  You can
reply to me directly or on the listserv.

Answer 1:       Yes, I am attending and have registered already
Answer 2:       Yes, I am attending but plan to register on-site
Answer 3:       No, I do not plan to attend

I would also like to give you an update on the conference and highlight
some meetings.  I am attaching a word document with the schedule of
events and below I am listing some of the workshops already approved.
Please note the following meetings and make sure you attend:

New Member Orientation:         Sunday April 4          1:00-3:00 pm
Candidate's Forum :             Sunday April 4          7:15-9:00 pm
Chapter Meeting:                        Monday April 5          4:30-6:00 pm
Meeting of the Members:         Tuesday April 6         8:00-11:00 am
2004-05 WESTOP BOD meeting      Wed April 7                     2:00-5:00 pm
(New chapter president and Treasurer required to attend)
2004-05 WESTOP BOD meeting      Thur April 8            9:00-1:00 pm

WORKSHOP UPDATE

Date    Time    Presentation Title      Presenter(s)
5-Apr   9:30-11:00      Broadening Access Using On-line Resources
Lourdes Guerrero, Valentine Garcia, Richard Vasquez
5-Apr   9:30-11:00      The Importance of TRIO Parents Ivona Williams
5-Apr   9:30-11:00      CAS Standards   Andrea Reeve
5-Apr   9:30-11:00      Student Access: A Student Tracking Solution
Tony Golobic
5-Apr   9:30-11:00      Implementing TRIO testprep programs that
raise scores and assess improvements David Waldherr
5-Apr   9:30-11:00      Roundtable: WESTOP's Strategic Plan Irvin L.
Coin
5-Apr   2:45-4:15       Program Event Planning  Gretchen Mitchell,
Rosario Villafana
5-Apr   2:45-4:15       Cultivating Reading Comprehension and Critical
Thinking . . .Kay A. Pittman
5-Apr   2:45-4:15       Creating Learning Communities: Developing
Academic Skills . Suzanne McEvoy, Judy Narcisse,Tony Johnson
5-Apr   2:45-4:15       Mentoring Practices Designed to Enhance
Retention of Students Dr. Marcia Canton
5-Apr   2:45-4:15       The New SAT: What Everyone Needs to Know about
Upcoming Changes        Deana Lewis
5-Apr   2:45-4:15       Tracking Students and Preparing the APR using
Blumen  Carlos Fortin
6-Apr   11:15-12:30     Alumni Tracking         Rosario Villafana,
Blanca Escobar
6-Apr   11:15-12:30     Assessment of Grade Level Programming
Lee Chhen Stewart
6-Apr   11:15-12:30     Advanced Student Support Services for
Upperclassmen   Rhonda Moses. Robert McCune
6-Apr   11:15-12:30     High School to College Transitions:
Preparing American Indian Students . . LouVina Maho
6-Apr   11:15-12:30     If I Knew then What I Know Now . . .A
Roundtable Panel with TRIO veterans Matthew Benney
6-Apr   11:15-12:30     Creating Lasting Memories for TRIO
Participants    Cristina Aguirre, Marcella Cuellar
6-Apr   3:30-5:00       Beating the Odds! Preliminary Results of a
Study of the Science Enrichment Prog. Tomasa Mauricio, Dr. Cynthia Park
6-Apr   3:30-5:00       Build, Strengthen and Grow: Youth Development
as a Movement Griselda Suarez
6-Apr   3:30-5:00       A Practical Guide for Implementing CAS
Standards       Lucia Delgado-Wilson, Lee Fulmer
6-Apr   3:30-5:00       Freshman Year Experience: An Experience for
Students and Staff Michael Tokuno
6-Apr   3:30-5:00       TRIO Program Impacts in Micronesia
Heinrich Palik, Morgan Jonas
6-Apr   3:30-5:00       On-line Counseling      Marco Antonio Diaz

See you all in Tucson,

Sam

**********************************
Samuel Cortez
Upward Bound Program
Student Academic Services
Cal Poly State University
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Phone: (805)756-2301
Fax: (805)756-5122
email: [log in to unmask]

"Vision without action is merely a dream. Action without vision is
just passing time. Action with vision can change the world."